If you are a car owner, you need to be aware about the basic car repairs and maintenance techniques. In this way, you can carry out some basic car repairs by yourself. Here are few tips on car repair and maintenance. Take a look.
Go through the car’s manual. The car manual is the best reference for the car repair. Here you will get detailed description of the car maintenance. Ranging from the best car fluids to how frequent you should service your car all the details will be given. Some of the highlighted points in a car manal will be:
- antifreeze change
- oil change
- brake fluid
There will be guidelines on general maintenance of the car as well.
Buy a specialized manual like Chilton only if the car manual does not contain sufficient information. Here, you will get text and illustration on some of the general car repairs.
Note: these manuals are not fit for the beginner. Thus, there is a possibility that you may not understand the manual completely. In spite of this, you will get a clear idea of the exact car damage and the ideal repair to be done. If you have basic knowledge of the car, then it will be easy for you to do few car repairs by referring to this manual. Few of these DIY car repairs are:
- spark plug replacement
- air filter replacement
- fluid filling
- oil changing
As a beginner, Understand your limitations in car repair. Remember that with little knowledge you cannot afford to do complex repairs in your car. Automobiles are complex and slight mistake in repairing can be harmful to the car. Additionally, you are also at risk while you are working on the car with little knowledge.
Few tips you can consider are:
- Keep blocks on tires when you work on the car. This will prevent the car to move while you are still working at it.
- Always work on the car positioned on a flat ground
- Do not work on the car with bare hands. Wear gloves to prevent any cuts from sharp auto parts
- Do not touch the car’s engine immediately after you have stopped the car. Wait for several hours to let the engine cool down.
- Make sure that your hands do not get stuck in any small place of the car. Thus, be careful when you put your hand inside any small part.
- Do not let you children come close to the work area.
If the car repair is complex like, then hire a mechanic to do the job. Auto mechanics are well versed in their job and hold the right expertise to work upon your car.