When you have been involved in a car accident, you can expect your life to become chaotic. In addition to the damages sustained to your car and the injuries you may have received, you will also be required to deal with either your insurance company or that of the at-fault driver. Insurance companies have made the claims and compensation process very complicated in an effort to discourage claims from being made.
You may become overwhelmed with all of the paperwork that is required to process your claim. In order to get a better understanding of the claims process you may want to contact a local personal injury attorney. A simple Internet query like “Miami Florida auto accident attorney” will produce many relevant results. You can also ask friends and family for referrals of a lawyer who specializes in auto accidents.
There are five things that you must do after you have been involved in a car accident to ensure that your claims process moves quickly and with ease.
1. Report Accident Immediately. You need to report the accident at the time it occurs. Any delay in reporting this accident can have a very negative impact on your claim for compensation. You will need this police report to verify the events that you have said occurred. The accident report will also contain vital information about other people involved in the event and who was the cause of the accident.
- Seek Immediate Medical Care. It is very important that you request medical attention at the scene of the accident. Even if the injury seems minor, or it is just a bad headache, you want to be medically evaluated. A headache can quickly escalate into something more serious when it is later discovered to be a concussion. The same applies to sore necks, backs and extremities. It is always better to be examined than to allow a simple injury to become a major problem.
- Document Facts. As soon as you can, you should take notes about everything that you remember about the accident and anything that happened prior to the accident that may have led to the event. This will help you out a lot later when you are required to answer questions by your attorney or the attorney for the car insurance company.
- Seek Legal Representation. To protect your rights and to ensure that you receive fair and complete compensation for your losses and injuries, you should seek legal representation as-soon-as-possible. An attorney can help manage the paperwork and legal aspects of your case while you are recovering from your injuries. Your attorney will also work hard to ensure that the insurance company plays fair and compensates you according to state law.
- Avoid Posting Facts. You should keep any posts on your social media pages to a mere reference of the event. You should never post details about the accident, about your injuries or recovery, or about the legal strategy your attorney is using. You should never admit to even partial fault for the event on your page, nor should you rant and rave about the event. The insurance company will be monitoring your social media pages for any type of information that they can use to lower or deny your claim for compensation.
The most important thing that you can do is follow the advice of your attorney. Your attorney has had significant experience in dealing with car accident claims and will know exactly what you should do to receive the most complete and fair form of compensation.
Valerie Stout Cyrus is a professional blogger who frequently researches insurance claims. She has found that Miami Florida auto accident attorney Steinger, Iscoe and Greene are successful in representing car accident victims in the Miami area.