Personal injuries can occur in a variety of public locations. No matter how minor the problem that led to your accident seems, you may be entitled to compensation for your injury and shouldn’t feel guilty about pursuing this option. Compensation lawyers specialise in these types of cases and can inform you about your rights based upon the circumstances involving your injury.
What to Do if You Are Injured on Public Property
If you are injured on public property, always document what happened even if at the time you don’t intend to file a claim. When your accident is due to property defect or debris, poor lighting, uneven pavement or other physical characteristics, which weren’t properly maintained, it is your right to be compensated for any injury you sustained. If you sustain an injury on public property take the following steps:
• Obtain contact information from any witnesses. Take photographs of the defect that caused your accident to support your account of the incident. This is important in case the scene is later altered. Additionally, photograph your injuries to the best of your ability or have someone do it for you.
• If injured inside a public building, such as a shop or grocery store, make sure that staff are informed, that a record is made of your report, and that you ask for a copy.
• Document as many details related to the incident as possible, including date, time, a description of what occurred, what led to your accident, any injuries obtained, the names and positions of anyone you spoke to, lighting conditions or any other relevant factors you observe.
• Seek medical attention immediately after the accident, even if you feel fine at the time. You may need to seek additional treatment as many injuries aren’t apparent immediately. Obtain copies of your medical report and keep receipts for possible reimbursement later.
• Keep all receipts for any costs related to your accident or for replacing items ruined as a result. This may include such items as medication (over the counter or prescription), ruined shoes or clothing, or broken personal effects. Obtaining Compensation for Your Injuries
If you decide to seek compensation for your accident, contact qualified compensation lawyers who will help you determine the best course of action and represent you if any necessary legal action is required. Every case is different, and it’s important to have professionals trained in injury law counsel you regarding a compensation claim. As time limits often apply to such claims, skilled compensation lawyers should be consulted quickly, so you are aware of your rights and can take appropriate action.
R. L. Youssef is a part of an elite team of writers who have contributed to hundreds of blogs and news sites. Follow her @RLYoussef.