Now that it is slowly starting to get warmer it’s the perfect time to plan a long weekend away as a family. With two bank holidays coming up in May why not treat your family to a mini break in the UK. There are lots of beautiful towns in England packed with activities for all the family to enjoy. A great town in the South West for a family weekend away is Cheltenham. Cheltenham is best known for the races, but it’s a beautiful spa town found at the edge of the Cotswolds. Here are ideas of what to do and planning for a weekend away in Cheltenham-
When it comes to activities and day trips Cheltenham has a lot to offer for all the family to enjoy. Here are some suggestions-
- Cotswold Family Park- This park is described as an ‘adventure farm’ and it’s exactly that. Different to your typical farm, Cotswold Family Park offers rides and activities as well as farm animals to see, feed and pet.
- Motoring Museum- Found in Cotswold is the motoring museum which is home to ‘Brum’ the car character from the popular children’s television programme. The museum also has amazing examples of the car dating back to the early 20th century.
- Far Peak Climbing Centre- This indoor climbing centre is found in Northleach a 6 mile drive from Cheltenham. Children from the ages of 3 and up can enjoy the facilities including indoor rock climbing and kids clubs.
- Stow On The Wold Treasure Trail- Explore the nearby town of Stow On The Wold in a unique way by taking part in a treasure trail. Whilst you figure out the hints and clues you will learn interesting facts and see the beautiful scenery in the town.
When travelling for a long weekend there are lots of hotels in Cheltenham to choose from. Choose a central hotel to make the most of your trip. Opting for a central hotel in Cheltenham means you will have the benefit of the centre of the town right on your doorstep. If there is a day that you don’t want to travel to one of the activity centres make the most of the town, do some shopping, eat out and explore the town centre.
Cheltenham boasts a wide range of restaurants, bars and cafes. Make the most of your trip away and try out the cuisine that Cheltenham has to offer. Here are a few recommendations-
- Prithvi- Indian cuisine that is recommended by the locals.
- Lumiere- Lumiere serves seafood and British food and is deemed ‘truly memorable’ by those who have visited.
- The Well Walk Tea Room- This tea room has great reviews and is a lovely place to stop for a spot of tea and cake.